Jul 12, 2018 | Tara Somerville | 682 views
New SSMHA Concussion Policy and Pre-Season Pre-Concussion Testing
Shores Minor Hockey Association
Saugeen Shores Minor Hockey
Association is committed to the long-term health and safety of our players. In
recent years, the understanding of the challenges of concussion has increased.
We are responding by taking steps to help protect our players. Please read the rest of this article for details or see our SSMHA Concussion Policy page for information. We are strongly recommending that all Bantam and Midget players receive pre- season pre-concussion baseline testing.
This will become a requirement for the 2019-2020 season.
1. Mandatory Concussion Seminar for Coaches and Trainers
a. two dates (yet to be determined) in September
b. conducted by Brock McDonald, MPT MPCA
2. Recommended education for parents and players
a. Watch parachute Canada video
b. Watch Dr Mike Evans ‘Concussion 101’
3. Implementing strict adherence to the Hockey Canada Concussion Policy
4. Providing the Hockey Canada Concussion Card / Concussion Education and Awareness Program to all coaches and trainers in the trainers box to assist in concussion recognition on the ice and bench
5. Recommending the 6-Step Return to Play
6. Insistence on completion of Concussion Follow-Up and Communication Form prior to return to competitive play
7. We are strongly recommending that all Bantam and Midget players receive pre- season pre-concussion baseline testing. This will become a requirement for the 2019-2020 season.
Pre-Season Pre-Concussion Baseline Testing
We are strongly recommending that all Bantam and Midget players receive pre-season pre-concussion baseline testing through Brock McDonald at Bruce County Chiropractic and Rehabilitation Center. Brock has extended training in concussion diagnosis and management. Younger players are also eligible, with understanding that the standardized testing tool is appropriate for as young as 12 years of age. https://brucecountychiropracticclinic.com/services/concussion-management-and-baseline-testing/
- 216 Goderich St Port Elgin, 519-832-6688.
- He uses a standardized and validated tool called ‘Impact’. https://impacttest.com
- There will be several sessions set up in late August and early September for this purpose. Contact the clinic at 519-832-6688 for appointment.
- This testing has a charge of $50 and can be reimbursed by most extended health benefits. A prescription can be provided should your benefits require it. Contact [email protected] if needed.
- For those families without extended health benefits, please contact the SSMHA for help as we have sponsorship monies specifically for this purpose. Contact [email protected] if needed.
Post-Concussion Testing - Players suspected of concussion should be seen by a physician or health care practitioner trained in concussion diagnosis and management as soon as possible after injury. Brock McDonald and colleagues will see players within two business days for follow-up testing.